Northwich has seen considerable investment over the last few years and is now seen has a desirable place to live, work and visit. Northwich Town Council provides a range of services including cemeteries, play areas, open spaces and a paddling pool for residents and visitors alike to visit and enjoy.
The Town Council currently has a vacancy for an experienced qualified Gardener which is a full time post (37 hours) to be worked flexibly to meet the needs of the Council.
The successful candidate will be expected to work in a small team delivering high quality services within the Council’s parks, cemeteries and open spaces. Some weekend and evening work will be required during busy periods.
It is essential that the successful candidate will hold a full driving license, hold horticultural qualifications and have experience working in formal parks.
Starting salary is in the region of SCP 4-11 £18,933 – £21,748 (depending on experience).
To apply for information pack and application form please contact:
Northwich Town Council
78 Church Road
Closing date for applications is 9th October 2020 at 5.00 pm
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
- To maintain Parks, Cemeteries, Play Areas and all contract works to the highest standard expected of Northwich Town Council.
- Grass cutting using a variety of equipment
- Strimming, hedge cutting, weeding, cultivation of flower beds, watering, planting.
- General maintenance of machinery
- Completing job sheet and daily time sheets
- Applying chemicals
- Applying fertilizer
- Visual inspection of all sites when required
- Watering (evening & weekends when necessary)
- Some occasional flagging, fencing and general repairs
- Litter picking
- Supervision of small team
- Organising day to day tasks
- Will carry Council fuel card to purchase fuel for vehicles and machinery
- Complete worksheets for contract works
- Complete inspection sheets when required
- Opening and locking of Council premises
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Formal professional education required plus considerable experience in the horticultural field.
- PA1 & PA6 certificates in the safe use of pesticides
- Interpersonal skills are required to deal with members of the public
- Some planning and creativity skills are required
. Trailer licence
Work to an established general routine, considerable freedom of action is involved in determining day to day activities
Regular physical effort required in walking, pushing mowers, pruning and periodically project work
Some work pressures arise from competing demands for different areas of the Council parks
- Sound basic education with evidence of basic numeracy and literacy.
- Clean UK driving licence.
- A recognised horticultural/groundsman qualification such as NVQ 3 / NCH or equivalent qualifications, or working towards an appropriate qualification.
- Experience of garden maintenance and care of garden plants.
- Awareness of Health and Safety legislation related to the post.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Good horticultural knowledge.
- Knowledge of soft and hard landscaping.
- Able to identify types of trees, shrubs and plants.
- Ability to organise and supervise a small team
- Able to work to a high standard
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of equipment.
- Maintain records.
- Able to read and interpret plans.
- Able to prioritise workload and work to deadlines.
- Able to work alone or in a team
- Physically fit and not averse to working in all weather conditions.
- Creative and dynamic.
- Honest and Trustworthy.
- Presentable appearance.
. Experience of planning workloads.
. Good interpersonal skills.
. Effective communication skills.
. I T Skills